Monday 25 August 2014

THE LULLABIES



Lullabies revive my memories of ‘Ammachi’ rocking the younger children to sleep. I observed that when ‘Ammachi’ hummed a tune, the child in the cradle gazed into her brilliant dark eyes. Perhaps, the child (Mariamma) knew that she was about to sing her to sleep. While she sang and hummed I used to sit close to her enjoying her closeness and listening to the songs. I too used to fall asleep in that serene and comforting warmth. When I wake up, I would find myself tucked into my bed. ‘Ammachi’ must have done so, when I fell asleep. Even now when I hear the song she used to sing to us my eyes swell with tears thinking of those endearing times we spent with her. One such ‘lullaby’ is as follows:-

“Omana…Thingal Kidavo……..
Nalla Komala Thamara Puvo..o……
Poovil Niranja Madhuvo…o…”

Through this very poetic song a mother admiringly looks on at her baby whom she is rocking to sleep.  She endearingly compares the child as “being a full moonfaced or a beautiful lotus flower or a fully opened flower filled with honey.” 

The lyrics of this song were composed by a poet namely Shri Irayimman Thampi.  He belonged to the Royal Court. This was composed for the new born Prince Swati Thirunal of the erstwhile State of Travancore. This soothing song was sung by a great playback singer, Smt. Janaki.


Excerpts from

MEMOIRS

by
Joseph J. Thayamkeril
Lawyer, Kochi, Kerala, India.
josephjthayamkeril@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment