Friday 31 October 2014

PICTURESQUE SIGHTS


Watching the sky from the banks of the Vembanad ‘Kayal’ was very interesting for us. Jacob and I could gaze at domestic aero-planes landing and taking off to and from the airport at Wellington Island, which is just across our island. Suddenly I spotted a MIG leaving white trails behind; I heard its scream overhead a little later. We could also gaze naval fighter jets (Gnat and Kiran) taking off skywards at high-speed and performing their acrobatics in the air; I remember my tense moments when I used to wish well for the pilots on board. There were helicopter-gunships that take off vertically, hover and fly in any direction. At times, when the aircraft swerves to the left or right we are even able to gaze at the pilot. We used to be excited when they responded to our waving. They were used for aerial survey and observation by the Indian Naval officers. Both the naval jets and the helicopter-gunships gave us a treat on the naval week, during the first week of every December.

Later the domestic and international flights were shifted to the International Airport at Nedumbassery. The aerodrome at Wellington Island was handed back to the Indian Navy as it was taken on lease from them. Now I observe the same enthusiasm in my son, Karan Jose Thayamkeril, whenever he darts out to watch the war planes or helicopters hover over the ‘Kayal’.

Excerpts from

MEMOIRS

An autobiography
by
Joseph J. Thayamkeril
Lawyer, Kochi, Kerala, India.
josephjthayamkeril.blogspot.com
josephjthayamkeril@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment