Saturday 6 December 2014

MY QUEER DREAM


 I remember the most hilarious and queer dreams that I used to have as a young boy. At Muttuchira small hilly areas were cut down to make room for a courtyard either on the sides or the back of the houses. My mother’s parental house also underwent such a modification. The remains of the hill that was cut was very steep about 4 to 5 meters in height from the back courtyard. This used to be a common area where we two and cousins used to gather for a good rest after climbing the mango trees to enjoy the cool breeze. There were about twenty to twenty-five varieties of mango trees. From this resting place we could talk to the elders in the kitchen below. Often I dreamt that I was falling from that steep edge into the courtyard; ironically this steep fall was a pleasant experience as I felt as if I was floating in mid-air whilst enjoying the star studded sky and the glow-worms around. Finally after a feast of these nocturnal sights I fall with a thud from my bed. I woke up to find that it was only a great dream. I often had these dreams. 

Excerpts from

MEMOIRS

An autobiography
by
Joseph J. Thayamkeril
Lawyer, Kochi, Kerala, India.
josephjthayamkeril.blogspot.com
josephjthayamkeril@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment