Saturday 6 September 2014

BONDAGE

Jacob and I used to sit on the shore to enjoy the awesome view across the Vembanad Kayal‘. The backwater was shimmering in bright sunlight. Before the commencement of the ebb, the movement or flow of water to the sea suddenly stopped; a cool breeze started coming from the West slightly swaying the coconut palm leaves; gentle waves commenced coming with a low gurgling and touched our feet one after another; sometimes rough waves came and wet our bottoms. We used to enjoy the gentle waves and darted back and forth as the waves came up and receded. I felt a great bond with the tides on this vast stretch of water before me. On one such occasion when we were playing on the shore to the rhythm of the tides, my attention was diverted to an Aree, a big predator fish, attacking a shoal of small fish. I thought for a moment, if Appachan had been here he would have caught it; I looked back to see if he was around. In that split second I could feel the soil under my feet being washed away and I was being carried away with the high tide. As I knew to swim I did not panic but I was taken unawares. A fisherman sitting mute enjoying the afternoon breeze on the shore nearby jumped into the ‘Kayal’ and pulled me out. He had an eye on us as if an angel sent from heaven! Thereafter, I was very careful and alert when playing with the tides. I saw ‘Ammachi’ running to the shore towards us with raised eye brows. I could feel the motherly instinct of care and affection in her. She must have been casting her glances around in search of us. She cautioned me, “Be Careful” and then thanked the fisherman sitting nearby. She was careful about her children! Several times we watched helplessly the rough waves shattering our castles and fortresses built on our shore. Before we could shield them, they vanished. Were the rough waves cleaning and tidying the shores for children to start a game afresh! We have always enjoyed the serenity and the turbulence of the Vembanad ‘Kayal’. In the evenings, we used to enjoy the cool breeze from the ‘Kayal’ accompanied with the varied sunsets which brightened the horizon.  If I am given a chance to be born again, I wish it would be once again on these very same shores of the Vembanad ‘Kayal’ where I had experienced such joy and serenity. 

-----
MEMOIRS

An autobiography
by
Joseph J. Thayamkeril
Lawyer, Kochi, Kerala, India.
josephjthayamkeril@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment